Certified Mechanic | Auto Mechanic Car Shops Lewisville, TX
With the holiday approaching and travel plans for many families, a reminder is in order to have the family car thoroughly checked over in advance of your trip. For those of you who prefer the services of a certified mechanic, contact us to schedule service in our auto mechanic car shops in Lewisville, TX.
The following highlights common items often overlooked by DIY car mechanics when performing maintenance. Unfortunately, these items are also often overlooked in dealerships. So the next time a mechanic recommends one of these components be replaced, he is very likely correct.
- Engine coolant should be changed as recommended by the automobile’s manufacturer. If left unattended the PH of antifreeze changes and the coolant becomes corrosive, and can cause leaks to occur as well as damage.
- Check belts with every oil change. The average life of a belt is 40,000 miles.
- The water pump can be difficult to check. A number of experts recommend replacing it when the car’s timing belt is replaced. If it hasn’t been replaced by the 90K to 100K mile mark, it isn’t a bad idea to do so. Otherwise, observe for antifreeze beneath the car, which indicates a leak in hoses, radiator, water pump and occasionally the engine. A Fifth Gear professional can provide the repair for you in our auto mechanic car shops in Lewisville, TX.
- Power steering fluid becomes dirty over time, causing leaks and replacement of components such as the power steering pump, and other steering components. Change the fluid every 50,000 miles or as the manufacturer recommends.
- Fuel Injectors get dirty and experience restricted flow, which in turn can affect engine efficiency and performance. Having a professional fuel injection cleaning provided every 50,000 miles to keep the engine running smooth and providing optimal fuel efficiency and top performance. Call today to schedule professional service in our auto mechanic car shops in Lewisville, TX.
- The majority of today’s automobiles has a “throttle body”. This replaced the carburetor many years ago. Throttle housings become dirty over time causing the throttle to stick off idle or be hard to depress. A professional cleaning in Fifth Gear’s auto mechanic car shops in Lewisville, TX every 60,000 miles or as the manufacturer recommends it will prevent this.
Improve Your Gas Mileage
There following cover some tips you can provide to improve your gas mileage and save money on the holiday trip.
Get Regular Service
Having your car serviced regularly with a tune-up from a Fifth Gear professional in our auto mechanic car shops in Lewisville, TX will keep your car running smoothly and improve your mileage. Ensuring good spark plugs, a clean air filter, good belts that won’t slip, a clean throttle body, and proper air in the tires are a few of the things that ensure the optimal gas mileage.
Check the Gas Cap
Ensure you replace the gas cap properly.
Don’t Put Off Maintenance Issues
When minor maintenance problems occur and when it is time for routine maintenance don’t put it off as they can have greater significance than you think. For example, issues that cause your engine to work harder will decrease gas mileage, such as a dirty air filter for example. A lack of maintenance can also pose a safety issue. Schedule service today in our auto mechanic car shops in Lewisville, TX.
Monitor the Tire Pressure
Some newer cars come equipped with an indicator light to tell you when your tire pressure is low. While it can be an annoying reminder, it is an important one to attend to. Check your car’s owner’s manual for the recommended PSI. Use a tire gauge to measure for proper inflation.
Practice Good Driving Habits
The way you drive your car can affect its mileage and performance. Driving at unsteady speeds, with rapid acceleration or quick stops, takes a toll on fuel efficiency. Excessive idling and carrying unnecessary weight in the trunk will affect gas mileage.
Fifth Gear Automotive’s certified ASE technicians will be glad to inspect your car and provide the necessary service. Contact us to schedule service in our mechanic car shops in Lewisville, TX by a Fifth Gear Automotive certified mechanic. Have a safe and wonderful holiday.