Brake service is not an option, but a necessity for your safety. Routine brake service is listed on the maintenance schedule for every vehicle. However, if you are having a problem with the brakes, do not wait, schedule an inspection today. Anything unusual about the brakes should be taken seriously. If your experiencing brake issues, or need to schedule routine service, contact Fifth Gear Automotive auto repair shops in Flower Mound, TX. The following are some of the common signs your car needs brake repair:
- A ‘spongy’ brake pedal lacks the resistance you normally feel, and travels lower to the floor than is normal. It can be caused by low brake fluid, air in the lines and worn brake pads or brake shoes.
- A brake warning light that remains on.
- Consistent squeaking, squealing or a grinding noise often indicates worn pads or shoes, and potential damage to the rotors if repair is delayed. Waiting can increase your cost for repair. Brakes contain a wear indicator which will squeak when it is time to replace the pads or shoes. Do not ignore it to avoid the need of replacing other brake components damaged by a lack of pad material. Contact our auto repair shops in Flower Mound, TX
- Vibration or unusual noise when brakes are applied.
- Jerking or pulling to one side when braking may be due to tire issues. However, a frozen caliper is also a possibility. A frozen caliper will require replacement.
- A hard brake pedal.
- A low brake fluid level can mean a dangerous leak in the system, or worn pads or shoes. Schedule brake service in our auto repair shops in Flower Mound, TX.
- Shaking of the steering wheel when braking can be caused by warped rotors, or irregularities in the rotor surface. Warped rotors will require replacement, while the latter can typically be corrected with resurfacing of the rotor. Fifth Gear Automotive can take care of your automotive needs in our auto repair shops in Flower Mound, TX.
The Types of Brakes
There are two types of brakes – disc and drum. Disc brakes use a rotor which is attached to the axle. A caliper straddles the rotor, and applies the brakes to the rotor when braking. Disc brakes are commonly used in front axles, and increasingly are the sole type of brakes for all four wheels on newer automobiles.
Drums are most often found on the rear axle of some cars. They use a brake drum and brake shoes to create the friction required for stopping, rather than a caliper and disc pads.
Brake discs and shoes wear out with use, and will require periodic replacement. Stop and go traffic, mountainous and hilly driving, can increase the frequency of required replacement. Some persons ‘ride’ the brakes, and this can result in an increased frequency of replacement. The above signs can indicate worn pads and/or shoes. Remember, many brakes squeak as a warning that brake service is needed. Failure to provide timely service can result in grooves being worn into the rotors or drums. Once this occurs they will need resurfacing or replacement, depending on the amount of wear. The cost of timely brake service outweighs delaying service resulting in resurfacing, and especially replacing a worn rotor or drum. Contact us today to schedule service in our auto repair shops in Flower Mound, TX.
Ignoring the need for brake service is dangerous, not only will delay increase your cost of repair, the brakes will not stop your vehicle as quickly. In addition, changing the brake fluid periodically is also a little known necessity. Worn out and contaminated brake fluid is not as effective, so check your owner’s manual for the recommended frequency. Some examples of problems that may occur in brake fluid include moisture contamination, which causes a rusty color to the brake fluid. Brake fluid that is black or dark colored may be due to overheating of the brakes. Both conditions call for a brake fluid flush, along with a comprehensive inspection of the brake system and any required auto repair shops in Flower Mound, TX.
Fifth Gear Automotive ASE certified mechanics offer comprehensive brake services in our auto repair shops in Flower Mound, TX for domestic, import and luxury cars, including but not limited to:
- Inspection and testing of the brake system components
- The installation of new brake pads, shoes and wheel cylinders as your vehicle requires
- Brake fluid flush
- Bleed air from the brake system, fill master cylinder reservoir and adjust brakes
- Re-surfacing or replacement of rotors and drums
- Replacement of master cylinders, calipers and brake boosters
- Inspection of brake lines and replace when necessary
- Service, diagnosis and repair of anti-lock brake systems (ABS)
- Parking brake service and repair
If your vehicle requires routine brake service, brake repair or brake inspection, give us a call to schedule service or bring your vehicle in for reliable service in our auto repair shops in Flower Mound, TX.
Routine brake inspections are recommended by your vehicle manufacturer. When you schedule annual service for your automobile at Fifth Gear Automotive, we will inspect many components, including the brake system. We will inform you if a problem is noted, and let you know the approximate amount of mileage left on the existing brake pads and/or shoes. Fifth Gear Automotive strives to exceed your expectations. You can rely on our certified mechanics to provide the highest quality of brake service, maintenance and other automotive services. When you require automotive services, give Fifth Gear Automotive a call at our auto repair shops in Flower Mound, TX.