Gas Mileage Tips
If you would like to improve your car’s fuel economy, the following tips can help you to achieve your goals. If you are already practicing the tips, you are probably receiving the best gas mileage possible. These tips in addition to a well-tuned and routinely maintained car will help to ensure both vehicle reliability, and efficiency. Contact Fifth Gear Automotive to schedule maintenance or repair in our auto repair shops in Double Oak, TX.
Aggressive driving includes speeding, fast acceleration and hard, sudden braking. The practice will waste gas, and lowers gas mileage by as much as 30% on the highway, and up to 40% in heavy stop-and-go traffic.
Observing speed limits and practicing safe driving habits, reduces the frequency of need for auto repair and saves gas. While gas mileage varies between cars, in general, gas mileage is diminished at speeds above 50 mph.
Maintenance and Repair
Repairing a car in need of engine work, or one that fails an emissions test or has a faulty O2 sensor can improve its gas mileage. The exact amount of gas saved varies according to the type of repair. Fifth Gear Automotive professional auto mechanics can provide the expertise you require in our auto repair shops in Double Oak, TX.
Car Pooling and Travel
Carpooling is a great way to save money on gas, and reduces wear and tear on your vehicle. If everyone could car pool, traffic would also be significantly reduced.
Hauling cargo on your vehicle’s roof when traveling increases the wind resistance and lowers fuel economy by as much as 8% in city driving, and up to 17% on the highway. Even worse, interstate speeds of 65 mph to 75 mph can cost you as much as 25% more on fuel. In addition, remove unnecessary items from the car and the trunk. Reducing the weight will increase your gas mileage, extend the life of the tires, brakes and other components.
If you are planning a road trip, have your car checked out by a qualified mechanic before you go. When looking for a reputable auto repair shops in Double Oak, TX, contact Fifth Gear Automotive for services you can trust. A car in good repair is not only more reliable, but more fuel efficient. Bring your car by to Fifth Gear Automotive auto repair shops in Double Oak, TX for maintenance, inspection and/or repair.
- Avoid idling as much as possible.
- Use the cruise control on the highway. Maintaining a consistent speed will save gas. One of the best tips is to slow down and maintain a steady speed of 55 mph. Increasing the speed to 65 mph can cost you 4 to 8 miles per gallon, while increasing your speed from 65 mph to 75 mph loses an additional 5 to 7 miles per gallon.
- Frequently check and maintain the tire pressure to save fuel. Check the pressure before driving when the car is cold for an accurate reading. Routine pressure checks on your vehicle’s tires will also ensure they last longer. This is especially important during the winter months when cold temperatures reduce the tire pressure, and increase resistance, while decreasing gas mileage.
- Avoid using four wheel drive when it is not necessary.
- Use the oil recommended by your vehicle’s manufacturer.
- For those whose employer will allow you to work from home, think of the benefits: no time lost in the commute, saving gas, and less wear and tear on your car, which can reduce the frequency of maintenance and time in auto repair shops in Double Oak, TX.
- Preheat your car just five minutes before you leave to save gas, idling has 0 miles per gallon. Idling increase wear and tear on your car, resulting in the need for repair. When looking for reliable auto repair shops in Double Oak, TX, contact Fifth Gear Automotive.
- Preheat the passenger compartment of your plug-in hybrid or electric vehicle while its charging to get the most range from it. Once you are on the move, using the seat warmers rather than the heat can also extend your range. During the summer, use the same practice by cooling the interior while the vehicle is still charging.
- Roll the windows down at low speeds, but use the air conditioning at higher speeds.
- Park in the shade when possible, and if not, use a windshield sun screen.
- Allow the inside hot air from parking to escape through open windows before turning on the air conditioning.
- Plug-in hybrids and electric vehicles typically offer an ‘economy mode’, use it to save gas. Refer to your owner’s manual for instructions on use. In addition, remember, accessories take power from your hybrid or electric vehicles battery. Charge it often, ensuring you use less gasoline. Fifth Gear Automotive can save you money by providing battery conditioning in our auto repair shops in Double Oak, TX.
- Avoid heavy loads, and most importantly, ensure you never exceed the load capacity of your vehicle to avoid potential damage.
Fifth Gear Automotive is a reliable source for all your automotive needs. You can count on our ASE certified mechanics for an accurate diagnosis, repair and maintenance. When you need the services of reliable auto repair shops in Double Oak, TX, contact Fifth Gear Automotive. We provide the automotive services you need for your domestic, luxury or import vehicles.