Bad gas mileage can occur for a number of reasons, but at the root is your vehicle is not running efficiently. This inefficiency at the very minimum is causing your wallet some distress at the pump as you need to fill up more often, but could be a warning sign of a bigger problem looming.
Here are some the main causes for a sudden drop in gas mileage:
- Bad oxygen sensor and air filters-in all forms will affect the fuel mixture and your fuel efficiency.
- Bad or misfiring spark plugs-will result in poor performance and subsequent lack of power will cost you fuel efficiency.
- Dirty, Bad or leaking fuel injectors or fuel pump-will also affect the fuel mixture and lead to slow acceleration, loss of power and fuel inefficiency.
- Oil Quality that is NOT up to or beyond your vehicles recommended level-use synthetic oil that is going to reduce friction.
- Incorrect tire pressure and/or poor alignment-tires that have low pressure or are out of alignment can cause a drop in fuel efficiency.
- Use of air conditioner when not necessary-will drastically effects your mileage, don’t forget to turn off the AC, or defrost, when you don’t need it.
- A stuck brake caliper-is like tugging on your own cape-if your vehicle is pulling to a side, this could be an indicator.
- Your own driving habits-check yourself. Have you turned into a revving machine, a more aggressive driver, or has the cold weather got you warming your car up more than normal. These are all habits that can lower your mileage.
Fifth Gear Automotive in Lewisville, TX performs a thorough inspection of your vehicles systems with each visit and/or oil change to insure it is performing at its best. If you are experiencing any of these symptoms call to schedule service with Fifth Gear Automotive for a comprehensive inspection by one of our ASE certified mechanics.
A family owned independent automotive repair shop, Fifth Gear Automotive has over 100 years of experience with all domestic and import makes and models, specializing in European auto repair and over 14 years serving Lewisville, Highland Village, Flower Mound, Lantana, Double Oak, and the surrounding communities. We have one goal; Complete Customer Satisfaction on all your auto repairs.
[…] caused by a faulty motor or an overheated electric motor. Fluid leaks, oil leaks, loose wiring, or sudden fuel changes can all be indicators that a car is in danger of catching […]