Most drivers assume correctly that their shocks and struts are what give their vehicle a nice smooth ride, and they do. They don’t always understand that those same shocks and struts contribute greatly to your ability to maintain control of your vehicle on the road. Determining if your shocks or worn or failing can be as easy as pushing down on each corner of your vehicle, if it takes the vehicle more than a couple bounces to come back to a resting position, it is a good sign the shocks might be worn. You may also see fluid leaking from a shock which is also a telltale sign new shocks are needed. Here are a couple items you can keep an eye during your daily drive:
- Excessive Bouncing, Rolling & Rocking-when driving over rough roads or rail road tracks requiring you to hang on, or actively adjust your steering.
- Uneven Tire Wear can be a good warning sign that your tires are not maintaining good contact with the road.
- Sliding In Side Winds to the point that you have to correct your steering, can be created by shock problems.
- Steering Wheel Vibration or Shaking on smooth roads can sometimes be caused by worn shocks.
- Vehicle Pulls to one side or the other when applying the brakes possibly due to worn or failed shocks.
Fifth Gear Automotive in Lewisville, TX performs a thorough inspection of the shocks and struts with each visit and/or oil change to insure your vehicle is performing at its best. If you are experiencing any of these symptoms call to schedule service with Fifth Gear Automotive for a comprehensive inspection by one of our ASE certified mechanics.
Fifth Gear Automotive is a family owed independent automotive repair shop with over 100 years of experience with all domestic and import makes and models, specializing in European auto repair and over 13 years serving Lewisville, Highland Village, Flower Mound, Lantana, Double Oak, and the surrounding communities. We have one goal; Complete Customer Satisfaction on all your auto repairs.